Shure KSM313/NE Dual-Voice Ribbon Mic with Roswellite Ribbon Demo/Open Box
One of the most versatile ribbon mics, the 313 features an indestructible Roswellite ribbon element and dual-voicing between the front and rear lobes for two slightly different tonalities within one mic. Check it out in our Ribbon Mic Shootout Video!
What we think:
The KSM 313 is a groundbreaking ribbon microphone in both tone and design. For starters, it’s outfitted with the unique Roswellite ribbon technology, which essentially renders the ribbon element indestructible. This quality eliminates any hesitation of using it on high SPL sources (ex: cranked bass or guitar cabinets) or applications with large bursts of wind (kick drum), in turn giving you more source flexibility and creative control.
Along the lines of flexibility, the 313 exhibits a “dual-voiced” design, meaning the front and rear lobes each offer their own distinct tone. While this isn’t completely unique to the 313 within the ribbon world, I find the difference between the two tones to be more noticeable than other ribbons with this feature (check out our video specifically highlighting the 313’s dual-voicing to hear for yourself). In general the rear lobe offers a more present and open top-end which I’ve found to be ideal for vocals, acoustic guitars, and darker guitar amps. The front lobe is darker and more in line with a “traditional” ribbon tonality, so great on brighter sources where you’re looking to tame and smooth out some of that extra top-end.
In general, the tone of the KSM 313 has a more modern edge to it. Now, it’s still a ribbon mic so smoothness and the ability to take EQ very naturally come with the territory, however there is this subtle “jumping out at you” quality with the way it handles transients that really distinguishes it from other ribbons out there. It’s frequency response is very balanced for a ribbon, offering a controlled low-mid range and more high-frequency extension. To call it a more “mix-ready” ribbon would not be a stretch at all.
If you’re after a darker, more “traditional” ribbon tone, some of the other ribbon mics we carry might be more of what you’re looking for (specifically the Royer R121
or AEA R84
). However if this is going to be your only ribbon mic, the versatility of the 313 makes it an absolutely fantastic choice.
The KSM313/NE is a premium bi-directional ribbon microphone for world-class audio and performance. The dual-voice design features discrete front-and-rear side sonic signatures for use with amplified instruments or intimate vocal applications. Hand-assembled in the USA with custom components and proprietary Roswellite® technology for revolutionary ribbon resilience under extreme conditions.
The high-tensile strength, toughness, and shape memory of Roswellite® ribbon material replaces traditional foil ribbons for superior resilience at extreme SPLs.
With unique technology and application features, alongside superior materials and construction, Shure KSM Ribbon Microphones are the necessary choice for the world’s most accomplished studio and live performances.
- Bi-directional polar pattern delivers premier audio with superior off-axis rejection
- True Dual-Voice tuned specifically for user’s for choice of response: warm and full for amplifiers, or swivel for bright and flattering vocals
- Revolutionary Roswellite® proprietary ribbon material replaces traditional foil ribbons with high tensile strength, toughness, and shape memory that provides superior resilience at extreme SPLs
- Custom-sourced components for superior presence, minimized signal loss, and maximized output
- 146 dB SPL across 30 – 15,000 Hz frequency response ideal for capturing fast transients in vocals, acoustic instruments, and concert halls
- Legendary Shure quality and superior construction from hand-assembly of machined steel, silver, gold, and aluminum materials