Sound Devices 744T - Portable, Four-Track Audio Recorder
Serious Professional Four Channel Recording Device with Mic Preamps, Converters, and Time Code
The 744T is an ultra-portable, four-track file-based digital audio recorder. Known for pleasant sounding microphone preamps, the 744T is credited with frequency response linearity while maintaining very low distortion and noise.
No other recorder on the market matches its size, features, and durability. In addition, the 744T is designed to place an abundance of control in the hands of the user, while the menu architecture provides intuitive operation. The onboard time code generator and Sony-compatible Li-ion camcorder battery makes the 744T ready for any recording job—from over-the-shoulder to cart-based production.
Data Storage and Transfer
The 744T records uncompressed PCM or compressed MP3 audio to its internal hard drive, a Compact Flash card, and an external FireWire drive allowing for flexibility to compliment the required workflow. It can be connected to Mac OS or Windows computers with FireWire 400 for high-speed data transfer.
The 744T possesses unmatched capability for its compact package when used as stand-alone portable recorder. It truly excels when preceded by a portable audio mixer such as Sound Devices' 552 or 302.
744T Key Features List
- Two-channels of Sound Devices next generation microphone preamps with phantom, limiters, and high-pass filters
- Channel 3 and 4 line-level inputs on TA3 connectors
- Two-channel, balanced mic/line level outputs on TA3 connectors
- Input-to-track assignment with 256 possible routing combinations
- Record to its internal 80 GB hard drive, removable CompactFlash, external FireWire drive, or any combination of the three
- AES3 (XLR) or AES3id (unbalanced AES on BNC) digital inputs and AES3id outputs
- Programmable, sunlight-viewable LED level metering
- WAV (Broadcast Wave compliant), mono or poly files, uncompressed PCM audio
- 24-bit or 16-bit (with or without dither) and sampling at 32 kHz–192 kHz
- Ultra-stable Ambient time code circuitry, tuneable to <0.2 PPM accuracy with all relevant TC rates
- MP3 and FLAC record and playback capability
- FireWire (IEEE-1394) port for high-speed data transfer to computers
- 6-pin modular C. Link serial input and output for unit linking and future control and expansion
- Removable Li-on rechargeable battery compatible with Sony M- and L-mount Li-on batteries
- 10–18 VDC external input powers and charges on-board battery
- Aluminum & stainless-steel chassis for exceptional durability and light weight
- Class-defining compact size
- Designed for the same operational environmental extremes as Sound Devices field mixers