Sorry for all the reading, but this is not an easy pedal to describe.
- Most every guitarist is familiar with the limitations of putting one fuzz or distortion into another... losing the detail but perhaps gaining that fun "shutdown" effect as one overloads the other, and the "where's my fuzz?" experience of playing a fuzz into a really dirty amp. Limitations. They increase your creativity but hob-gobble your plan.
- This new distortion generator, Machine, was designed with some different limitations. Like try playing chords through it. Hmmm. But put it in front of any string of fuzz pedals, and try to make it disappear.
- Machine is actually a dual frequency-tripler circuit that uses crossover distortion for the first time in any pedal, ever. It generates the distortion of the wave in the sloped part of the cycle, instead of the peaks and valleys like all other distorters and fuzzes. In other words, it distorts when your guitar string is in the middle of vibrating, while it's swinging, not as it's turning around. That's the same place where your speaker cone is sort of coasting, between all the way in and all the way out. Where nothing is happening, this pedal happens. With Machine you can leave your favorite distorting pedals on and still add a new element of energetic grind.
- You'll notice the dynamic response is higher than most pedals. If you put a tremolo pedal set smooth in front of it you'll hear it sweep through it's wild frequency multiplying stages, or if the trem is set for square wave it will jump back and forth between crunchy harmonics. Conversely, you can get ringing harmonic effects using a dynamically freezing pedal in front of it like a compressor.
- One thing to keep in mind, however, is that this pedal basically sounds horrible. It's primary purpose is to cut through. But like a wild man with a machete, it is not nice.
- All hand painted Z.Vex pedals have a lifetime warranty.
Bank checks & wires (wire fee $15), Money orders. Visa/MC (US only) shipping & billing address must match on credit cards. All checks and credit cards must be drawn on US banks. NO COD's, personal checks or Wester Union. We do not underinsure guitars shipped internationally and must show the full purchase price on invoices.
We usually use UPS. Customer pays shipping upfront. 24 hour approval on US purchases. Customer is responsible for shipping and insurance both ways if the item is returned. We only ship small amplifiers and there is no warranty.
24 Hour approval on US shipments. Full no hassle refund less shipping costs for guitars received back in same condition as sent. Customer ships guitar back fully insured at own expense. No refunds on layaways or amps.